Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Police Half Marathon Race Review

On Sunday, April 28th, I ran in the Calgary Police Half Marathon.  I was scheduled to run 29K as prep for the marathon, and ho hummed about doing the half marathon as part of the distance.  The indecision was due to cost.  As a late registrant, they were asking $95.  Wow.  And if I had registered "early" it would have been $85.  I just couldn't stomach that cost.

But as race day approached, I started trolling Kijiji, and I found an ad posted by a gentleman asking $45 for his bib.  Yes!  I was pleased to see only one person had viewed the ad, and even more pleased when he responded it was still available.  $45 was a price I could accept for a distance of 21.1.  We met up on Friday to exchange the race number at package pick up.  And I can say, I'm really glad I didn't pay any more for this race.

It was great to run through the Weaslehead, and in a part of the city I normally don't see.  There were three aid stations for support offering water or gatorade, as well as the Police mascot, cops on horseback, and the highlight for me, bag pipers as we came up a steep hill out of the Weaslehead and into Lakeview.

Heading out over the reservoir.
BUT, for $95, runners received a nice, but small, medal, a technical race shirt, and THAT'S it.  My opinion, is it is NOT worth nearly $100.  That's just craziness.  I think I paid the same for my full marathon and will be getting much much more out of it (meaning obviously more course support due to distance, music on course etc.).

The back of the medal.  The front says FINISHER and the race distance.
I wouldn't sign up to do this race again, unless I found it for cheap.  The price simply doesn't make it worth it.  I have heard it has a loyal following though, and usually sells out.  Not this year.  Perhaps (and hopefully) price has something to do with that.

Heading into the Weaselhead.
Run wise, I arrived at the race start at 7 am, switched my race shirt to a new size, and managed to squeeze in 4.7K prior to the race start.  I looped the University where it started, which was awesome as I was able to figure out prior to the race, just what I should be wearing.  Loop 1 I added gloves.  Loop 2 I took off one jacket, and by loop 3 I was down to what I was comfortable in.

I finished the race in 2:13:07, holding a pace of 6:18 min/k.  The finish line, marked a total distance for me of about 26K.  I still had 3 more to go.  I just kept running after the finish line, knowing if I stopped I may not want to start back up.  I got 29.07k nailed yesterday, and I finished feeling GREAT.  I was really happy with shaving two minutes off my finish time from February, and happy I finished fast and strong.

I'm into the heavy miles now of training.  Next week 32, then 36 on Mothers Day weekend, then the taper will start as the marathon approaches.  As of today, 33 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment